I have spent my entire adult life living and working in Lane County. I’m a mix of my frugal rural New England heritage and northwestern maverick..
I love it here – we are surrounded by the beauty of the Pacific Northwest and live with some of the country’s most community-minded people.
I am lucky to be married, Julie Hulme, who has taught first grade locally for more than two decades. For more than 25 years Julie and I have
lived next to the beautiful Willamette River and have been active in our neighborhood.
Like many of you in Lane County, I attended both Lane Community College and the University of Oregon. Now, as County Commissioner, I am pleased
to offer internship programs for students from both of these fine institutions.
I started and ran my own landscaping business for more than 25 years here in Lane County because I wanted to work doing something I love and I wanted to be able to have time to volunteer in the community and be active in civic matters. . As an entrepreneur and small business owner I’m committed to supporting locally-owned businesses. We are the heart of our economy. With the flexibility that comes with owning my own business, I have been able to volunteer with youth sports programs, youth mentorship programs, neighborhood organizations, civic groups, and efforts to protect the quality of life that we enjoy so much.
I was elected to the Lane County Board of County Commissioners November 13, 2008 and was sworn in on January 5, 2009.
- Kidsports - Basketball and Baseball Coach
- YMCA - Basketball Coach
- Committed Partners for Youth - Mentor for At-Risk Teens
- Edgewood Community Elementary School – Volunteer
prior to service as Lane County Commissioner
- Mayor’s West Broadway Advisory Committee
- Board Member - Citizens for Public Accountability
- Chair - River Road Community Organization
- Co-Chair - City of Eugene’s Neighborhood Leaders Council
- Board Member - Railroad Pollution Coalition
- Board Member - Friends of Rasor Park
- Rasor Mixed - Use Center Citizens Advisory Committee
- River Road Santa Clara Transition Project Task Force
- River Avenue Redesign Committee
- Community Panel: City of Eugene Independent Police - Auditor Selection process
- Community Panel: City of Eugene Planning Division - Director Selection process
- Community Panel: City of Eugene Fire Chief Selection Process
- Speaker - City Club of Eugene (Land Use Planning Process, Union Pacific Railyard Pollution)
as Lane County Commissioner
- Board of County Commissioners
- Human Services Commission (HSC)
- Metropolitan Policy Committee (MPC)
- Joint Elected Officials (JEO) Task Force for Fire/ Ambulance Transport Services
- Joint Elected Officials (JEO) Committee: Metro Plan review
- Lane-Benton-Linn County Water Resources Study Group
- Lane County Commission rep to Oregon Region 2 Super-Area Commission on Transportation (ACT)
- Beltline Highway Corridor Study Stakeholders Advisory Committee
- Lane County Budget Committee
- EmX Steering Committee